Opening Celebration: Karmic I by May Cat

Registration is closed for this event
Join us for the opening of Open Signal's next exhibition: 'Karmic I', by multimedia artist and Summer 2018 New Media Fellow May Cat.

Karmic I is a four-part multimedia project that materializes as texts, lesson plans for youth, community events and a series of videos about Thai ghosts in media.

Through the use of multiple video monitors, New Media Fellow and multidisciplinary artist May Cat illustrates the common themes of reincarnation and the supernatural with mashups of Thai horror movies and soap operas — also known as lakorn.

“Thai horror movies are often driven by an idea of karmic justice: you reap what you sow, and the consequences of your intentions can unleash paranormal punishments," May Cat explains.

May Cat also penned an article for the quarterly Buddhist magazine Tricycle about the 2009 short film Novice, "an example of how Thai ghost movies explore how karma can haunt us."

While working with Caldera’s Youth Program and Literary Art’s WITS program, she designed and produced several versions of a lesson plan; high school students investigated the differences between western horror films and the context of the supernatural in Thai ghost films.

This project was facilitated with help from Chicago-based art historian, curator and academic Chanon Kenji Praepipatmongkol.

Open Signal's 2018-19 New Media Fellowship program has grown thanks to the generous support of the Fred W. Fields Fund of the Oregon Community Foundation and the Jane Schiffhauer Charitable Trust.

When
March 13th, 2019 7:00 PM through  9:00 PM
2766 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Portland, OR 97212
United States
Show large map
Contact
Phone: (503) 288–1515